Social Services


Social Services GraphicAssisting people in overcoming life's challenges and strengthening our community through high-quality social services.


A professional and well-trained workforce focused on innovation, efficiency, and collaboration to strengthen individuals and the community.


*** The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) Block Grant Plan has been posted to the NCDHHS Public Notices website (See Link below and under the Quick Links section of this website.).  This plan will be posted for the public to view and submit comments from September 1, 2023 through September 7, 2023.  A Public Hearing will be held on September 7, 2023, from 3-4pm to discuss the plan live and to address any questions.

Service Changes Due to COVID-19

Moore County Department of Social Services has adjusted operational protocols in response to advisories regarding COVID-19. We are continuing to provide all services while adhering to established safety measures. Remote applications and changes are available online; over the phone; through email or fax.

Paper applications are still available at the entrance of the lobby Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm. You may complete the application and place it in the drop box located outside the front door on the right side of the building, or you may stay and complete your application with a caseworker.

Regular office hours are 8 am to 5 pm. Please call with any questions at 910-947-2436 or email the Social Services Department. We have increased the number of employees assigned to answering phone calls and email inquiries.

Residents may access social services in the following ways:

Thank you and please do not hesitate to call if you need assistance.


N.C. Department of Health and Human Services: Press Releases

  • NC DHHS serves North Carolinians. We administer Medicaid, child support enforcement, social services, and services for the disabled. We promote public health and regulate childcare and healthcare facilities.

Note: In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Under the Food Stamp Act and USDA policy, discrimination is prohibited also on the basis of religion or political beliefs. To file a complaint of discrimination, contact USDA or HHS. Write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW., Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call 800-795-3272 (voice) or 202-720-6382 (TTY). Write HHS, Director, Office for Civil Rights, Room 506-F, 200 Independence Avenue, SW., Washington, DC 20201, or call 202-619-0403 (voice) or 202-619-3257 (TTY). USDA and HHS are equal-opportunity providers and employers.