Veterans Benefits

VA Disability Compensation

Disability Compensation is a tax free monetary benefit paid to Veterans with disabilities that are the result of a disease or injury incurred or aggravated during active military service. Compensation may also be paid for post-service disabilities that are considered related or secondary to disabilities occurring in service and for disabilities presumed to be related to circumstances of military service, even though they may arise after service. Generally, the degrees of disability specified are also designed to compensate for considerable loss of working time from exacerbations or illnesses. Click here to learn more.

Veterans Non-Service Connected Pension Benefits

Non-service Connected Pension pension is also a monthly monetary benefit aimed at providing financial support to wartime veterans who have limited household income and /or very high medical expenses as established by the Department of Veterans Affairs. To be eligible, if under 65 years of age, the veteran must be permanently and totally disabled. If over 65 years of age, there is no disabling requirement. Veteran must have served a total of 90 days on Active Duty with at least one day during a war-time period asa established by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Click here to learn more about this benefit.

Life Insurance

VA provides valuable life insurance benefits to give you the peace of mind that comes with knowing your family is protected. VA's life insurance programs were developed to provide financial security for your family given the extraordinary risks involved in military service. Vist the VA website at

Education Benefits

You may receive Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) (Formerly known as Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) services to help with job training, education, employment accommodations, resume development, and job seeking skills coaching. Other services may be provided to assist own businesses or independent living services for those who are severely disabled and unable to work in traditional employment. To learn more about the VR&E program, visit their website at

Home Loans

VA helps Servicemembers, Veterans, and eligible surviving spouses become homeowners. As part of their mission to serve you, VA provides a home loan guaranty benefit and other housing related programs to help you buy, build, repair, retain, or adapt a home for your own personal occupancy. VA Home Loans are provided by private lenders, such as banks and mortgage companies. VA guarantees a portion of the loan, enabling the lender to provide you with more favorable terms. Download the VA Home Loan Buyer's Guide at

Burial Benefits

Burial benefits available include a gravesite in any of the VA national cemeteries with available space, opening and closing of the grave, perpetual care, a government headstone, marker, or medallion, a burial flag, and a Presidential Memorial Certificate, at no cost to the family. Some Veterans may also be eligible for burial allowances. Cremated remains are buried or inurned in national cemeteries in the same manner and with the same honors as casketed remains.

Burial benefits available for spouses and dependents buried in a national cemetery include burial with the Veteran, perpetual care, and the spouse or dependents name and date of birth and death will be inscribed on the Veteran's headstone, at no cost to the family. Eligible spouses and dependents may be buried, even if they predecease the Veteran.

The Veterans family should make funeral or cremation arrangements with a funeral provider or cremation office. Any item or service obtained from a funeral home or cremation office will be at the family's expense. The Veterans Benefits Administration created Burial Benefits for Veterans and their Families, to assist in pre-need planning and record storage.

Medical Care


You may be eligible for VA health care benefits if you served in the active military, naval, or air service and didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge.

If you enlisted after September 7, 1980, or entered active duty after October 16, 1981

You must have served 24 continuous months or the full period for which you were called to active duty, unless any of the descriptions below are true for you.

This minimum duty requirement may not apply if any of these are true:

  • You were discharged for a disability that was caused—or made worse—by your active-duty service, or

  • You were discharged for a hardship or “early out,” or

  • You served prior to September 7, 1980

If you’re a current or former member of the Reserves or National Guard

You must have been called to active duty by a federal order and completed the full period for which you were called or ordered to active duty. If you had or have active-duty status for training purposes only, you don’t qualify for VA health care.

If you served in certain locations and time periods during the Vietnam War era

You’re eligible for VA health care. 

Is there anything that will make me more likely to get these benefits?

Yes. You may qualify for enhanced eligibility status if you meet at least one of these requirements. Enhanced eligibility means that we’ll place you in a higher priority group. This makes you more likely to get benefits.

At least one of these must be true:

  • You receive financial compensation (payments) from VA for a service-connected disability

  • You were discharged for a disability resulting from something that happened to you in the line of duty

  • You were discharged for a disability that got worse in the line of duty

  • You’re a combat Veteran discharged or released on or after September 11, 2001
    Learn more about eligibility for transitioning active-duty service members and returning combat Veterans

  • You get a VA pension

  • You’re a former prisoner of war (POW)

  • You have received a Purple Heart

  • You have received a Medal of Honor

  • You get (or qualify for) Medicaid benefits

  • You served in Southwest Asia during the Gulf War between August 2, 1990, and November 11, 1998

  • You served at least 30 days at Camp Lejeune between August 1, 1953, and December 31, 1987

Or, you must have served in any of these locations during the Vietnam War era:

  • Any U.S. or Royal Thai military base in Thailand from January 9, 1962, through June 30, 1976 

  • Laos from December 1, 1965, through September 30, 1969

  • Cambodia at Mimot or Krek, Kampong Cham Province from April 16, 1969, through April 30, 1969

  • Guam or American Samoa or in the territorial waters off Guam or American Samoa from January 9, 1962, through July 31, 1980

  • Johnston Atoll or on a ship that called at Johnston Atoll from January 1, 1972, through September 30, 1977

  • Republic of Vietnam from January 9, 1962 through May 7, 1975

If none of these descriptions apply to you, you may still qualify for care based on your income. Learn more about how the amount of money your family makes can affect whether you qualify for VA benefits.


State Benefits

The North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles offers 16 specialized license plates to veterans including the Disabled Veteran (DV) plate. This plate is available for veterans who have a disability rating of 100%. This plate is free of charge to those veterans who qualify. 

To apply for any of these plates print the  MVR-33 or visit our office to obtain one. Please bring proof that you are eligible for the type of plate requested.  Please provide VA rating decision, DD214 with the completed application. VSO will sign if all documents are available for verification of eligibility.

To qualify as a disabled veteran and be eligible for a homestead property tax exemption under North Carolina law, a person must meet certain criteria. The property owner must be a veteran of any branch of the US Armed Forces with an honorable discharge and must have a permanent & total service connected disability of 100% from the US Department of Veteran Affairs.  The disabled veteran homestead exemption is the first $45,000 of your assessed real property value is exempt from tax abatement. Contact your local VSO or tax office to complete all documents needed.

In appreciation of the service and sacrifices of NC war veterans, a four year scholarship program at an NC approved schools has been established for the qualifying children of certain class or category of deceased, disable, combat or POW / MIA veterans. For more information on eligiblity and how to apply visit the website below. 

NC Scholarship for Children of War-time Veterans

License shall be issued only to an individual resident of North Carolina who is a fifty percent (50%) or more disabled as determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, remaining valid for the lifetime of the individual so long as the individual remains fifty percent or more disabled. Certification from the Department of Veterans Affairs must be submitted with application.

To apply print the NC wildlife application or visit our office to obtain one. Please provide proof of your U.S. Departmetn of Veterans Affairs rating. VSO will sign if all documents are available for verification of eligiblity.

Close Menu
Back To Top