Expanding Broadband in Moore County
GREAT Grant Award for Broadband in Moore County
Moore County has been selected for funding under the NC Growing Rural Economies with Access to Technology (GREAT) Grant award program. The award has been granted to Brightspeed who was just acquired by Lumen, formerly CenturyLink.
The award from the state is in the amount of $4,000,000 for a total project cost of $9,421,502. The county contribution to this project is $500,000 in which the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds will be used. This will bring fiber internet speed to approximately 3,478 households that currently lack broadband connectivity.
More information will be posted on the Moore County website on the exact locations of this grant award.
- Orange Dots: Brightspeed Awarded NC Growing Rural Economic with Access to Technology (GREAT) Grant
- Blue Area: Charter (Spectrum) Awarded Rural Digital Opportunity Fund
- Yellow Area: Windstream Awarded Rural Digital Opportunity Fund
- Red Area: Space X Awarded Rural Digital Opportunity Fund
- Green Area: Randolph Communications Awarded ReConnect USDA Grant
Randolph Telephone Membership Corporation brings Fiber to Rural Areas of Moore County
Randolph Telephone Membership Corporation (RTMC) was awarded a $2.3M grant for its Connect Moore County Project that was made available through the USDA's ReConnect Program out of the CARES Act. The 48-mile project will deliver speeds up to 1 Gigabit per second, via a 100% fiber-to-the-home network. The broadband will not have data caps. See link below for more details and how to sign up.
What Citizens Can Do
Take the NC Broadband Survey
- Online North Carolina Broadband Survey website
- Text "internet" to 919-750-0553
- Voice Call 919-750-0553
Apply for the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program
The Emergency Broadband Benefit Program gives low-income households a discount on internet services to they don't have to decide between purchasing broadband and other necessities as they work and learn at home during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Broadband allows people more affordable and efficient access to basic amenities such as education, health care, public safety and government services by:
- Affording people opportunities to participate in online learning and distance education
- Giving entrepreneurs and small- and home-based business owners opportunities to compete with large corporations
- Increasing the productivity and efficiency of businesses that use the internet for their operations
- Connecting patients in remote areas to health care services
- Making government services more readily available to residents
- Saving companies and organizations money by letting employees telework
- Allowing friends and families to stay in touch with one another
What is Broadband
High-speed Internet access that is always on and has download speeds of 25 Mbps and upload speeds of 3 Mbps. Broadband includes several high-speed transmission technologies such as:
- Digital Subscriber Line (DSL)
- Cable Modem
- Broadband over Powerlines (BPL)