Moore County Community Development Staff strive to provide Moore County residents with education and guidance in helping their families by providing a healthy, safe, and energy-efficient environment.
- Mosquito Problems Start at Home - Everyone knows mosquitoes can be bothersome not to mention carry diseases. Many places around your home may be causing mosquito problems, get rid of places where water collects and mosquitoes won't have a chance.
- The Biology and Control of Subterranean Termites - Termites are the major wood-destroying structural pests in the southern United States. In North Carolina, our main problem is with subterranean termites, e.g., termites that normally live below ground and may move up into a structure where they cause damage.
Water Drainage Solutions
- Water Drainage Solutions (PDF) - Standing water can be a big problem if it has nowhere to go. By improving water drainage away from your home you can protect the structure from potential future issues. There are several ways you can redirect water away from your home like French Drains, dry wells, and landscape improvements to name a few.
Roof Maintenance & Venting
- Roofing Maintenance and Venting (PDF) - A roof plays a major role in providing a home with good ventilation and preventing moisture from entering the home that can cause future damage. Regular inspections and simple home maintenance can help its longevity. By following our "Roofing Maintenance and Venting" guide you can help protect your home from future water and moisture issues.
Home Energy Efficiency
- Improve your home's energy efficiency with Energy Star - Making your home energy efficient with Energy Star can help to reduce high energy bills, improve comfort, and help to protect the environment. Improving energy efficiency is also an important first step for homeowners interested in green remodeling. Energy Star can guide you in making your home more efficient - whether you do it yourself or hire a qualified professional.
- The Lead Safe Certified Guide to Renovate Right (PDF) - Lead-based paint was used in millions of homes until it was banned for residential use in 1978. Projects that disturb painted surfaces can create dust and endanger you and your family. Before doing renovation or repair work to your home you should read The Lead Safe Certified Guide to Renovate Right.
Kerosene Heater Safety
- Kerosene Heater Safety (PDF) - Using Kerosene Heat is a very common means to heat within your home here in Moore County; however, a resident using kerosene heat during the cold months should be aware of all the safe ways to use kerosene heat.
Carbon Monoxide Indoors
- Carbon Monoxide Indoors - Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, but dangerous gas. It is produced when a fuel such as natural gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned. Exposure to CO reduces the blood's ability to carry oxygen. Fuel-burning appliances used indoors must be maintained, used properly, and fully vented to the outdoors to prevent dangerous levels of CO.
- Learn about Asbestos - Even if asbestos is in your home, this is usually not a serious problem. The mere presence of asbestos in a home or a building is not hazardous. The danger is that asbestos materials may become damaged over time. Damaged asbestos may release asbestos fibers and become a health hazard. Before removing or repairing your home educate yourself and learn about asbestos.
- Septic System Owner's Guide - If you use a septic system, or if you are buying a home with a septic system, the Septic System Owner's Guide can help you be sure that your septic system is used and maintained properly. With proper maintenance and care, your septic system can last you many years.